Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

4.11.2005

Attitude of Gratitude

(now playing: "Be Thankful", William DeVaughn / "Aint No Stoppin Us Now", McFadden and Whitehead)

In case you're wondering, the situation with my roommate is pending. She's away. Back at the ranch, analytic me and Aquanetta me are in a conclave deciding how to phrase my words for the uh... "Welcome Back Kotter" party. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I thought I'd file with some lighter thoughts. I'd have to credit William DeVaughn's "Be Thankful" which just came on, with putting me into the mood of gratitude. (You know, the seventies ode to the streets, "Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac / Gangsta whitewalls, T.V. antennas in the back /You may not haaaaave a car at all / But remember brothers and sisters, you can still stand tall / Just be thankful for what you got ... Diamond in the back, sunroof top, dig in the scene with a gangsta lean, whoo-hoo-hoo!") Cat daddy! LOL

Anyways, nice anthem for a nice Sunday. Actually got to church on time (I think C.P.T me can record that one in the history books). Nice sermon, on living as an example, courtesy of Rev. Calvin Butts. Nice array of negro spirituals. Nice hanging out with friends after. Nice food. Nice nap. LOL

So, don't really have a point today. I'm confident that things will work themselves out as my great-grandmother used to say, "Lawd willing and the creek don' rise." And due to Willie DeVaughn, I'm now thankful too. *Popping the proverbial collar*...Diamond in the back, sunroof top, dig in the scene with a gangsta lean, whoo-hoo-hoo!")

*smile*

2 Comments:

At April 13, 2005 11:47 AM , Blogger gone said...

Umm...Calvin Butts is not wassup!!
Did he steam roll anything before his sermon? Dude f*cked up the whole narrative for me! LOL

 
At April 13, 2005 1:36 PM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Okay frat, enlighten me. Why is he counter-revolutionary? LOL As I understand it, he didn't invent regentrification, only tried to find ways to make it work for the community. But I'm always game for new info, so please fill me in ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home