Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

6.09.2006

Go?

Now playing: "Go", Common

"Thought forever it would last for/ But forever moved faster."

So as always, I seem to find myself at a crossroads, one choice will propel me ever forwards towards my dream (magazine editor), another towards stability and filthy (Range Rover-type) lucre (law school). Up to this point, I had fully turned my attention towards the latter... fed up with being a fact-check monkey, working for silly editors and living the pseudo-glamorous life of calling up celeb reps to ask things like "Did Terrence Howard actually carry a man-purse to the Oscars? Is it true that Amerie can dress waaaay better than she sings? And that Cee-Lo looks like that crab from Sponge Bob Square Pants?" (Answers are yes to all three, in case you were wondering. Lol). After an email from an old colleague mentioned an editing position that might be opening, I found myself once again excited by the life of media. And... once again, back to the drawing board. Back to paralysis by analysis, as my dad would call it...

When I was little I always thought of adulthood as some forever, far away place that I would go to once I was tall enough, someplace long in the distance. It was someplace where I could do what I wanted and no one could tell me to come inside when the street lights came on, or to make me eat liver and squash, or to make sure my jacket was zipped up to my neck. I would be setting the rules, I would be determining what I wanted. I would, alas, be the boss of me. Now, as irony has it, now that I am here -- the question is, what is it that I want?

:) M. Elle

3 Comments:

At June 09, 2006 10:23 PM , Blogger Another Conflict Theorist said...

Peace, Sis.

When I have to make a decision like that, I ask myself which one can I most comfortably put off. Will you still have the option of going to law school in a few years? If so, you may want to consider taking the editor gig. If it's not what you like, expect, or something from which you can spring into a better position, save the dough and make the change.

Just a suggestion.

ACT

 
At June 19, 2006 1:52 PM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

I have the same question

 
At July 06, 2006 4:31 PM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Thanks Gunnar. Words of wisdom, truly :) And, ACT, yours are words to think about too. Since I haven't heard anything else about the position, I have played for the bird in the hand. So, Danyel and SPChrist, law school here I come. Lol

Eclectic Space - Not hating on Cee Lo. I love "Crazy" as much as the next person as well as his unforgettable soliloquy on Kast's "Liberation". But I calleth a spade a spade. If you look like a crab, you look like a crab. *Shrugging*. Lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home