Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

4.20.2005

Res Ipsa Loquitur

now playing: "Dust" - Van Hunt
"It's just another day, another episode. I'm hiding under the world."

So, a friend reminded me that I never commented on the outcome between me and said roomie. (I'm sorry, it's gotta be that happy-feels-like-spring-crack I'm still on. Plain forgot.) Luckily all's square. We chatted and it's now back to the Peaceable Kingdom...the Niagara Convention...the Rainbow Coalition, well you get it. All's gravy. The agreement we reached is no surprise parties for her and Aquanetta -- with her multicolored rollers, store-sported houseshoes and parole violations -- stays at bay. Fair enough. LOL

In other news, I went to a branch of the city public library today to do some research for a project. First, let me say that it was Africa-hot up in that piece! I felt like I had just crossed the Mason-Dixon sans my freedom papers and da man was in steady pursuit...Um, so here's a thought. Do we not pay taxes in the big apple so we can get some A/C circulating? Geez Louise. Then, on top of that, a gentleman sitting next to me at the public computer desk was so aromatic that I had to vacate the premises with a haste rivaling Clarence Thomas spotting Angela Davis in the skreet. Lawd, lawd.

But my real point in writing is to ponder the crossroads at which I find myself currently. I was recently informed that I have the chance to go back to school (for journalism), at great cost, but still at great opportunity. At issue is the fact that I also have the inclination (it began as a whisper and now reaches L'il Jon-esque volume) to abandon the less traveled road of poetic lore altogether, and leave my down-for-the-people inclinations and notebooks to gather dust. This of course would free me for more nefarious pursuits (*cough* law school... next year) with the mission of obtaining the burgundy Land Rover and summer home on the Vineyard. Then, will come my ensuing disaffection to the Republican party. LOL

Sigh...

Why couldn't I have just been a rapper? If I could make beats like Kanye, I'd be ballin' right about now. If I had the flow of say, Jigga, I'd be chillin and could retire to write without regard for filthy lucre. But alas, blessed only with a predilection for gab, and sans the raw lyricism of the aforementioned, I'm left without the famed "Jesus piece", and instead with the "piece(s) of paper bearing my name." As I came to no conclusion/decision by the time the sun set, I looked to the election of the Pope as inspiration (shout out to Benedict XVI). This man, the leader of 1.1 billion Catholics, declared publicly that he was but a "humble servant". I thought to myself, wow, he's been in this for the love. Sure, he's big pimpin' now, but how many years was he toiling namelessly in pursuit of a seemingly elusive dream? In that instant, as the crimson curtains pulled back at the Vatican window where he addressed the faithful, I was reminded by old dude (and Mariah... cause "Make it Happen" plays now) to keep pushing. Someday, the bell will toll for me too -- Mahogany Ellus, the first. *smile*

5 Comments:

At April 20, 2005 1:08 PM , Blogger Maverick said...

Good post...as far as putting away your law school aspirations, I would just say that at some point you need to access what is it that you feel you want to define yourself as from this point on. Alot of people want to be lawyers but not for the love of being a lawyer...instead they feel it will allow them an opportunity in the future to pursue what they want to do. But often times, their opportunity came and went while they were waiting on the perfect time...

We all do it...we try to pay off our credit cards and student loans before we buy a house. We try to save up a certain amount of income before we pursue our dreams. And we don't realize that opportunity comes and goes when it pleases. If you feel you have something that you want to do and you have the chance to do, do it on your own terms. Whether that is going to law school and doing your dream or just focusing entirely on your journalism, don't wait for the quintessential "moment" because more than likely, that concept doesn't exist in reality...there is never really a time that opportunity just smacks you in the face...it often tip-toes behind your back and if you don't pay attention, it is gone. All of that to say live your life for the things that define you...and a Land Rover doesn't define you...and thanks for stopping by my blog...

 
At April 21, 2005 1:23 AM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Will -- Thanks for the shout.
And, speaking of classic, a BIG SHOUT on your old skool radio blog. Truly the hypeness! Love that song, "Just Call My Name", but never knew who the artist was...downloading as we speak ;)

 
At April 21, 2005 1:27 AM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

"There is never really a time that opportunity just smacks you in the face...it often tip-toes behind your back and if you don't pay attention, it is gone."

Maverick -- So true. So true.
I think you're probably very right. Thanks for weighing in :)

 
At April 21, 2005 1:38 AM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Nai, thanks for the advice. I'll do well to heed it. Also, nice blog!

 
At May 03, 2005 10:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. This is beautiful. I love the Clarence/Angela reference.Can you indulge me just a little and imagine for a minute Clarence Thomas in a roomful of Afro-picked womanist professors? Ahhh... cherish the thought.

On the subject of Lawl school, girl, you should have come to visit on finals week when the shays go wild and people live in the liberry. that's some res ipsa for you. that said, can I get a ride in Rov to take my kids to gymnastics?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home