Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

5.31.2005

Shameless-selfpromotion.com

My holiday weekend was an eventful one. I made it from Saturday to Monday with hair in tact (my pressed tresses narrowly escaped a drizzle but did okay until the very end, so that spelled s-u-c-c-e-s-s in my little book. And trust me, if you had to sit in the beautician's chair as long as I did, as she wielded a smoking comb and flat iron, you would see that wasn't an overstatement.) The highlight of Sunday was a beautiful wedding in which my "play" cousin played groom and his wife, my soror, played bride. The lovely couple was picture perfect and the wedding planners left no stone unturned. Ice sculpture with their names engraved? Check. Lovely floral arrangements complete with white lilies, pink tea roses and classic sprigs of ivy? Check. A wedding service where no one fell out on her train? Check. A reception in a gorgeous marble room with three entrees from the sea and the land? Check. Waiters who wait by your elbow in case your beverage should disappear from your cup? Well, you get my drift.

It was quite the wonderful experience every wedding should be and I was glad to see that once again, we can pull out all the stunts just as well as anybody. (As the new husband and wife danced at their reception, I was filled with joy for them. And, even the playing of Lionel Richie and Diana Ross's "Endless Love" didn't set off my gag reflexes in the way it normally does. It was that beautiful.) But that said...sometimes Nay Nay and Boo Boo don't need to come to the picnic, y'all. Let me explain...

No sooner than I fully took in the revelry of the evening (my calves, which played close kin to feet that were in three inch t-strap heels are still tired from the endless cha-cha, electric slides and party walks), was I forced to stare, mouth agape at a display that was nothing short of ... Hmm, what are the right words? Cullud shenanigans? No... that doesn't quite capture. I've got it... complete and utter ghettofabulosity. Yes, that's it. Imagine a conference on the state of black America with Anthony Anderson as the keynote speaker. Then, times it by three. Okay, stay with me.

At the reception, after we honored the bride in song, a family friend/play cousin's boyfriend decided that the event provided the proper venue for him to propose to his intended. No doubt, this was with some coaxing from his girfriend's family, but I digress. Anyway, the DJ calls him to the mike at which point the boyfriend calls her out on the floor and makes a grand announcement professing his undying love for her and asks her to marry him. Aside from the fact that I am elated at any display of black love and commitment, I could not... uh, "fix my face" to reflect that sentiment.

Stunned was I at the defiance of all etiquette. To make sure that I was not alone in my perception, I looked around at the guests, most were oblivious (after all, they were probably chatting about...I dunno... the bride and groom's wonderful day.) Others had expressions similar to mine (which to give you a mental picture looked something like Diahann Carrol's character in the wedding episode of "A Different World" after Dwayne rolled up at Byron and Whitley's wedding to claim his girl. Except there was no "Die, just die" and finger pointing from me. Nope, M. Elle was able to hold her tongue and her composure. Later, I communicated with an etiquette aficionado (i.e. my Louisville, Kentucky-raised grandmother) in the case that I had misjudged the newly engaged couple's scruples. She confirmed my sentiments. Another I asked, even went to far as to make a tongue-in-cheek suggestion... that the couple help pay for the wedding reception. After all, they also made it their engagement dinner, party and photo op. (They also had the audacity to greet the bride's guests at the tables as if it were their party. Hrmph!) Now, never let it be said that M. Elle is a snob. Never let it be said I don't have a heart. Never let it be said that I'm a Grade A Hater. But sometimes I have to ask myself, black people, couldja, I mean... could we, musn't we do it better? Please? *Shaking my head*

In other shameless self promotion news, as of today, M. Elle has reached her 1,500th reader. *beaming like I'm four and my mom just gave me a Koolaid popsicle* Yay!! Thanks to you guys for reading. I really just started this in late March as another writing outlet. Who knew I would become so enthralled with blogging and reading the sentiments of so many witty writers on the web (Yes, police are at present pulling me over for excessive alliteration. (*Addressing cop* Yes, officer, I understand, but if repeated consonant sounds are wrong, I don't wanna be right.) Anyways, more from me soon. *smile*

5 Comments:

At May 31, 2005 11:48 PM , Blogger SunsyneSmile05 said...

Amen sister amen. The mom's and I had a recap about the inappropriateness as well. Wouldn't you know the same DW reference came up. I guess all great minds think alike.

 
At June 02, 2005 12:34 AM , Blogger Adia Creator said...

Interesting observations; Nice blog...keep it going!

 
At June 09, 2005 4:35 PM , Blogger Ananse's Web said...

"Die, Just Die"
That was a classic line....

 
At February 04, 2006 4:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mahogany Elle,

Your blog "Shameless-selfpromotion.com", leads me to believe you will find my information on maxiglide flat iron to be very beneficial.

 
At February 04, 2006 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mahogany Elle,

Your blog "Shameless-selfpromotion.com", leads me to believe you will find my information on ceramic flat iron sedu to be very beneficial.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home