Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

5.21.2005

Trickles from a Faucet


Now Playing: "It's Your World" by Common (the smoov brotha's back!)

So, I've been blog-hopping as of late, reading the contributions of all the myriad talented verbal freestyle artists on the web. (Big shouts out to everyone I've parleyed with on comment pages in the last couple of days). Can't really say that I have a solid topic today, but just had a few thought drops I thought I'd share if you'll indulge me...

a. This is old news to many of you, but Common's Be is hot!! I don't think I've been this excited about an album coming out since Lauryn's Miseducation. Then, at the end of the summer just before I was about to go back to college for my sophomore year, I remember hounding brotha man in the record store around my way in Jersey until he agreed to give it to me a day early. (What can I say, a little negotiation and charm never hurt before *smile*)

b. I posted a l'il nod of agreement on Sid's site (she originally stated this sentiment) but Public Service announcement #101: Joss Stone is overrated! Please don't accuse me of racism, but how much of a look would she have gotten had she been a big bone-ded girl (read: Jill Scott) or a soulful singing sista with nappa haya (read: India.Arie)? I thought she couldn't sing when I first heard her album riding around in Cali with my cousins last spring. And, the Gap commercials just reinforce my perception. My dislike isn't about color, I love me some Teena Marie (*whisper* And you might catch me listening to Simon and Garfunkle and Average White Band from time to time, but that's off the record.) But, I don't like people pretending that they're trying to sell her on talent alone. It's like Vanilla Ice, or Snow (remember the vanilla reggaeman from the 90's?) ... If we can agree that she's getting a look because she represents a certain wish for domination of everything...including soul music, then it's awl good as them gulls from OutKast's album say, but when the truth isn't told about that, I get a little annoyed. *Brushing the hateration off my shoulders* Okay, that said, where is Remy Shand these days? I liked that cut he released. LOL

c. Meritocracy triumphs: Naima wins as America's Next Top Model, Yay! I told myself I wouldn't write about reality TV show results on said blog, but I'm really glad that the best person actually won. She took the best shots (even though the judges were trying to hate at the end, what was up with that??) and won it all. Maybe the Detroit native can now go back and help run the city. It seems like Kwame da Mayor could use some help (LOL)

d. One of these days, I'm going to have to learn how to cook. I've either ordered out or dined out every day this week. See, what had happened was, my original plan was to have a live in chef (tee hee, that's right), but I haven't yet gotten there. Still waiting to blowuptuate, homies. But, here's to next year. Stay tuned, bloggahs...

Okay, back to Common. * Humming "It's Your Wor-rrr-rrld. Oooh." *smile*

6 Comments:

At May 21, 2005 11:31 PM , Blogger Sid said...

ROFL@ "blowuptuate."

That...is...brilliant!

*wanders off mumbling in agreement about Joss stone*

 
At May 23, 2005 12:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I like Common's new album, and "It's Your World" is one of the best songs I've heard in years, but I'm not sure I can call it a classic like all the magazines are doing. I'm going to review it myself and we'll see how it comes out...not to be a hater cuz I do like the album.

And you're right about Joss Stone...I just don't see her appeal so much. Though I do have one friend who refuses to like her solely cuz she's white, I just dont like her album. Then again, I also don't like India.Arie.

Panama=Equal Opportunity Hater

 
At May 23, 2005 5:26 PM , Blogger Jdid said...

I'm just waiting for BE to drop tomorrow. I'm at the record store like as soon as work finihes tomorrow.

 
At May 23, 2005 7:21 PM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Sid--giving credit where credit is due, I heard Jamie Foxx use that a couple of years ago. Dontcha just love cullud people? :)
Panama-- LOL @ "equal opportunity hater". You know, hateration is something that's undervalued these days. I dare say, it's the spice of commentary.
Nai--We must be on the same wavelength...dunno what make me think of him (I guess I was trying to think of good blue eyed soul). Anyways, if you hear of any news with him, holla back (whoo.whoo)
X--I swear we have parallel music tastes. I have the AWB CD with that song on it. LOVE IT!! I think I listened to it like 50x before I knew they were white. I thought that was just the name of the band. LOL ...Yes, I'm on the short and yellow bus (toot.toot) And, Teena is honorary black if you ask me (anyone who put up with Rick James has earned their stripes among the negroes :)...In other news, yes send me your cooking tips (Lawd knows it's "through the years as I struggle" in the kitchen :)
-Lastly, Mellow I was on the floor at "Special K". Is that his skreet name? Oh...I just love Detroit :)

 
At May 23, 2005 7:21 PM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Oh and Jdid, thanks for stopping by. Y'all come back now, ya hear? LOL

 
At May 24, 2005 1:55 PM , Blogger Ananse's Web said...

I HAVE to go and cop Commons Album, I am really feeling him. As for Joss Stone, I kinda like some of her music, she just seems way tooo too something...I cant place my finger on it...for her age though. As for naima I am glad she won I have been rooting for her from the very start. I enjoyed your blog thus far, I will be back soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home