Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

2.19.2006

We Be Clubbin'

Now playing: "Da Art of Storytellin", OutKast/ "Da Butt", E.U.

So Friday, as the workday ended and I prepared for the second leg of my twice daily hour and 20 minute commute from midtown (sometimes I feel Harriet Tubman had nothing on me!), I had a little conversation with myself. It went a little something like this...

Mahogany: So what shall I do for fun tonight? Self, now remember think long and hard. Come up with a REALLY good idea okay?
Self: How about I go to bed early, like 8 pm?
Mahogany: Word is bond. Sounds fun to me...

*cue the breakdancing crickets here*

So as the evening chill becomes more and more unbearable for "tropical me" this conversation seems to be occurring more often. Seems like I'm on the express train to becoming an old woman quick, fast and in a hurry. Argh...

Luckily, my friends, knowing my general ethos on wintertime socializing, habitually stage interventions. (Shout out to Sawruh La who came through this time around!). Last night, La allowed no excuses from me and made sure I was one among the Jersey crew heading out to a winter white Philly shindig thrown by the oh-so-gorgeous brothas of Kappa Alpha Psi. Yes, I was asleep in the car on the way there, but that's not the point. Lol. I can't remember the last time I cut such a rug and had a fab time! (Oh yeah, it was a wedding... ahem, in May). Anyways, I did totally step out in "grown and sexy" fashion, bronze wedge heels and all. (*Pause* LOL!! Okay, Totally kidding about that last pronouncement, because I soooo hate that term. What is the world coming to when Carefree Curl Babyface can pronounce himself "grown and sexy"? It's sort of like calling yourself "classy"... if you have to say it, you probably aren't. Further illustrative reading/listening: Trina's "Glamorest Life")

Anyways, I truly felt the Good Lord look kindly upon us as we all boogie oogie oogied, not allowing any of us falling through a hole in the wood planked dance floor of an otherwise trendy nightspot. From the Black Sheep to Vanity to Slick Rick, we.got.down.

While I can't say that I'll be out and about every weekend before spring, it's nice to make the scene every now and again. And nice to know you have friends who will drag you out if you don't...

Back to knitting, oatmeal and "60 Minutes" :)

3 Comments:

At February 20, 2006 4:09 PM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

I see your still living the life...

 
At February 20, 2006 5:25 PM , Blogger Maverick said...

Yo, you sound just like me...the perpetual homebody. At least you had some people to drag you out of the house...I am still looking for those people on my end...

 
At February 27, 2006 2:09 PM , Blogger Jameil said...

hahaha. i do that everyday. i say to myself, hmm... yeah my bed sounds like a reaaaal good idea right now! lolol i only go out when i leave pittsburgh. how nutty is that?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home