Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

5.18.2011

To Dream the Afro American Dream



PSA:
This post is a lot more like Jet and lots less like James Baldwin. So, humor me, por favor, while I step into the "black" side. Whoo hoo hoo. (Shout out to the Dreamgirls' soundtrack.)

This week, I have been reading news of the great negro non-debate between Dr. Cornel West (formerly known as smartest black man in America) and President Barack Obama (currently known as smartest black man in America). Cornel says Barack isn't black because he was raised by white people in Kansas, because he's comfortable kicking it with Jewish folk from Harvard, because he's scared of authentic "free black men" and ... oh, and also because the POTUS didn't give him any free tickets to the inauguration. Thus, the President's black card has been permanently revoked!

Fuh. Real.


His story here: http://www.thenation.com/blog/160725/cornel-west-v-barack-obama.


While I used to have the utmost respect for Dr. West, (see my blog "HueMan in Harlem" circa 2006), as of late, I think Cornel has spent his precious daylight hours devolving into Chicken George with a Harvard degree, a suit he purloined from Frederick Douglass, and an uncombed Afro. All brought to you by Wal-Mart, McDonald's and Tyler ... er Tavis Smiley's "Loud and Ignant Colored Road Show." Sigh... First, it was that rap album. Now, he's like a crazy man throwing his elocutionary daggers at pigeons in the park. Whatever, Clyde. We get it. You black.

Anyway, just when I thought the bounds of negritude had been exceeded for the week, I was surprised into silence. No, indeed, they had not.

Today, on the other end of No Child Left Behind, this lady, LaKeesha something or other, made news by getting herself removed from the "quiet car" of the Amtrak train after she talked for 16 straight hours on her ride from Oakland, CA. Apparently, she became belligerent when she was confronted with her behavior. So, they stopped the train just so police could apprehend her... I am the darker sister in the quiet car. I too sing America.

*Closes eyes, clicks heels, and waits for Rev. Jesse to appear by her side, like a magic unicorn*

*Whispers* Listen chile. That's the sound of the tom-tom drum. Just kidding. No, it isn't.

This moment in black America brought to you by LaKeesha is here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110518/us_yblog_thelookout/loud-cell-phone-talker-removed-from-quiet-car-by-police.


I have nothing to add except that I wish I still had my parents' tapes of "Eyes on the Prize." These latest travesties of American negritude don't deter me from marchin' onward. Nay, I'm still like a tree, planted by the wawtuh. *Sigh* But, I sholl could use some strenf to help me on my way. Lol.

*Solemnly hums "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" to myself*

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 12:40 PM , Anonymous kat calvin said...

This article isn't written very well (it's on the Loop, forgive them) but it basically says it all. These are just tired old men who thought they would have a free pass to the White House and instead are back at their universities and radio shows where they belong- and they're not happy about it. I liken them to Prince Philip- he only says f*d up ish when the Queen is getting too much attention and he's feeling ignored. The Matrix isn't hiring any more, so Prof. West has to do his acting somewhere else.

http://theloop21.com/politics/the-black-class-war-the-obama-critics

 
At June 03, 2011 6:46 PM , Anonymous Piii said...

Forgive me for sounding like a Republican, but Cornel's job is to sell books by saying ridiculous things. And Barack's job is to know when to court a guy like Cornel (while he was still earning his pre-presidential black card) and when to ignore him (after everybody knows he's a baaad man). Seems like both are doing their jobs well -- unfortunately Cornel is making himself look like a hater in the process.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home