Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

6.09.2005

The NBA on R&W

Departing from our reguarly scheduled programming at Rhythmandwords (ie the Mahogany Elle Legends Ball) we interrupt to bring you a word from the NBA finals. Now, I didn't think that I would be enthralled on what was sure to be a visually lackluster series, filled with hard fouls and fundamentals from two stellar defensive teams, but as I watched the game last night, I realized that there's quite a lot to say (not about strategy, I'll leave that to the pros), but on the players.

I love Tayshaun Prince. I really do. He's scrappy, plays hard and has arms that could extend around the globe. (Literally. LOL) But, at 90 lbs soaking wet (*laughs* Okay, okay, I'll give him 120 lbs max) it's a little distressing to watch him go up against guys who are so much bigger than him. Though he plays tough, his jersey flaps in the wind, hanging off of his slight frame like a sheet on a clothesline. I feel like his momma yelling at the screen, "Boy eat a sammich before the game!". I get so worried that I want to go to the stadium and be like of those people who feed the homeless on subway cars. So here's my PSA for anyone with Finals tickets who wants to assist L'il Tay. Please discretely run up in the stands and throw him a meatball sub. Let's hope he can use those "Go, Go Gadget" arms to catch it, eat it and bulk up a little. He'll thank you when he's older. LOL

In other news, try as I might, I cannot bring myself to root for Tim Duncan for two reasons. 1.) He never shows any sort of emotion. There, I said it. True, the man is talented. True, he works hard. True, he's a team player. But I never have the sense that I can feel his passion for the game looking at him play. It's like no matter how many points he scores, he's just sort of there. Which brings me to my second reason, which hinges on the fact 2.) that he reminds me of a giant marshmallow. Really, he does. Now, let me qualify. He's not quite the mallow of magnitude from Ghostbusters (*rapping along to the B. Brown track in my head* "Too hot to handle, too cold to hold. We're ghostbusters and we're in control." LOL.) No, Duncan's more of a figurative marshmallow. I can't explain it. I see Duncan. I think marshmallow. *Shrugging and raising eyebrows*

Which brings me to my next point. Whatever bland adjectives come to mind watching Tim Duncan, the complete opposite happens watching his teammate Manu "Man Up Ni&%ah" play like he's at the Rucker or something. LOL. Man...I hadn't been following him closely before, but watching dude (I almost typed "the brotha") last night, I was thinking maybe he should have gotten the melanin instead. LOL (No racism intended, but Detroit, how y'all gonna let a white boy dunk on you twice?!! Especially, on my boy Rasheed "the rugged warrior" Wallace. LOL. Wow, was that was something to watch.) Well, the Pistons may not have gone home with the victory tonight, but there's still hope. Why? ... Two words -- Ricky Hamilton.

It took a long time, but I really respect and am rooting for Mr. Hamilton (whose nickname has always been "Ricky", not "Rip"... I don't know where that mess came from. LOL) The reason it took a while for me to get on board is because his college team stomped mine in the NCAA championship five years ago. And then, he poured salt in the wound my mercilessly talking junk when it was over. (I must have stared at the screen for a half-hour after the game was over, annoyed with his antics.) Anyways, in the years that have followed, I have seen how hard a worker and most of all what a talented athlete and poised individual he is. That said, Ricky, here's my message to you. I know Farnsworth has his umbrella, Odd Job has his deadly bowler hat and Nelly has his platinum caps, but when can we lose the daggone mask? LOL. It just seems odd, 'tis all. But maybe that (in addition to protecting his ever-breaking nose) adds to the lure of celebrity that is Mr. Hamilton. Which begs the question of what the mask mystique can do for people in other fields of work. Just imagine visiting your lawyer and he's wearing a plastic mask? (His rationale is it helps him "in the court"). Or your minister? (It's for the fast breaks to the "sinner's bench") The possibilities are endless...

*Announcer's voice* "This has been a production of the NBA on R&W"

4 Comments:

At June 10, 2005 12:02 PM , Blogger Maverick said...

On the real, you might be the blogger after my own heart. Thought you already had me with your numerous musical references (which I am always impressed by), but then you are NBA-savvy enough to recognize the skills of Richard Hamilton!!! If you come out saying that you are a Star Trek fan, I might have to say that there may be something written in the stars for us...LOL...

Anyway, just wanted to stop through and say what's up...you are entertaining as usual. Always a good read...keep it up...

 
At June 13, 2005 11:05 AM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

Will - Thanks for the shout out
Maverick - Thank you too. And no, I'm not a Trekkie, but I respect their gangsta! LOL
Nai - Thanks for the clarification about "Rip"...but ima say like those men in the barbershop do on Coming to America "His momma named him [Ricky], so ima call him Ricky." I'm not a fan of latter day nicknames... he's been around in the NBA for four years and all of a sudden, he's Rip. Nope. LOL When he was playing at UConn, people didn't call him Rip, so he'll always be Ricky to me :) As for the series, I never wrote it off. I thought it was going to be tough and as the Spurs, guided by Marshmallow man, "Man Up N&%ah" and the Tony are showing, they are making their best effort to steal the championship (if they keep playing the way they have been, they might be succesful)
As far as Ricky's mask... totally understand, as an athlete (I used to play soccer) you get into a rhythm and you want to keep it up... but by virtue of the way they played yesterday (Game 2, Sun), he might need to take it back to the maskless days of his college glory years.

 
At June 13, 2005 7:31 PM , Blogger MHJ said...

I absolutely loathe seeing the Spurs play. Tim Duncan makes me feel depressed. He shows no emotion. He's a robot from the same factory as Dick Cheyney.

Rip Hamilton has the same nickname as his father, Richard Sr. - and there is debate as to whether it is because of his father's tendency to "rip" basketball nets during play or Richard's tendency to rip his diapers off. LOL

:) DE TROIT BASKETBALL!

 
At June 27, 2005 6:20 PM , Blogger Mahogany Elle said...

PC -- LOL@ "He's a robot from the same factory as Dick Cheyney." Oh, that's hysterical! I think I told a few people that joke this past week. Thanks for the laughs.
DaKelz -- Please tell Stuart Scott to call me back. Hrmph.
X -- So sorry soror... *gazing at my pay stub* Since I do see your signature on my checks, will hop to it. Promptly. Yes'm! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home