Rhythmandwords

Banter on Tulips and a Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z and John Coltrane, Outkast and Othello.

10.06.2005

Trickles -- Pt. Deux




A while back, I did a "Trickles from a Faucet" Post... Just my random thoughts strewn about wantonly on the page. Well, seeing as how I am that same paradoxically lazy but overachieving negress who... works too many hours so can’t get the time she needs to really blog/ would rather daydream and think of stories than apply to law school/ would rather shop than read/ would rather listen to music than the incessant bloviation of news TV's talking heads/ would rather try to rationalize the goodness in procrastination and C.P. Time than actually try to change my errant ways *smile* / wouldratherwritealongsentencewithoutpunctuationjust
becausedaggoneiti'mtoolazytopushspace, or maybe just cause I like the way words look all jumbled on a page... all denying each other their own room, but cozy and close like longtime friends (Ashford and Simpson/ Tammi and Marvin/ Q-Tip and Phife)...Anyway, excuse the free thought, but since I beez that girl, here's another installment on the happenings in the month of Mahogany.

-A few weeks ago, with a group of old neighborhood friends, I saw "Roll,Bounce" on its opening weekend and thought it was just the cutest thing! Bow Wow and Jurnee Smollett made such a cute best friend pair. And then, tack on a trash talking friend and a couple of others (including "Mixed" Mike, Naps and even the egotistical disco-fevered "Sweetness" who were just too funny) and you have yourself a movie. About regular black kids going regular things. Skating, playing the dozens. (Read: not shooting.) And you've created? A cute hit. And, judging from the packed theater featuring L'il Boomquisha and Nem where I went to watch the movie with a group of friends I grew up with, it was also a hit among the teenyboppers. And, I haven't even mentioned the lovely soundtrack. My fave is "Pure Gold" by... uhm, you guessed it—Earth Wind and Fire. After more than 25 years together, they still bring the classics. And Philip Bailey is ethereal!

- Do mine eyes faileth me or could it be true that Babyface and wife Tracey are calling it quits? I know people are human. And we all fall short in the grand scheme of things. But I can hardly believe the man who penned "Every Time I Close My Eyes" while courting his wife and the duo who so lovingly collaborated on underrated real life love story "Hav Plenty" (not to mention the now black staple, "Soul Food") are calling it quits. Man. I still love "Love Saw It" and "Two Occasions", but couldn't y'all have taken a cute from Rebum Al (Green) and "stayed together"? For the love of all that is good in modern R&B. Kay, note to self: must pull back from this subject before I have a "Florida (Esther Rolle) after James (John Amos) just died" moment.

- Earlier this week, a colleague introduced me to this song by Chaka Khan. I previously tried to call myself a fan of her music ("Street Player" is one of my favorite albums— "Best of Your Heart", one of my favorite songs)... but alas I must now stand down from accepting such title. I had quite honestly and absolutely had no idea about the extent of the breadth that is this woman/diva. "Please Pardon Me (You Remind of a Friend)" is such a good song, I really couldn't even get to the others on this album ("Rufusized", 1974 for anyone who's interested.) So, new goal is to get to the rest of the album by the weekend's end... In other music happenings, on an impulse and after hearing Bobby Womack’s "If You Think You're Lonely Now" on the old school station last night… (How I do love that song. Every time I hear it, I feel compelled to give Bobby Womack a resounding Baptist "Amen!")...I purchased "The Very Best of Bobby Womack." Among the hits that will be in heavy rotation are the aforementioned as well as "A Woman’s Gotta Have It" & the oh so soulful "Across 110th Street."

*Singing *"I was the third brotha of five/ Doing whatever I had to do to surviiive./ I ain't sayin what I did was alright./ Tryin' to break out of the ghetto was a day-to-day fight [Doop. Doop]/ Been down so didn't really cross my mind./ Knew that there was a better way of life and I was just trying to find/ You don't what you'll do till you're put under pressuh/ Across 110th Street is a helluva test-uh."... Jump back brotha Bobby. Jump back.


- Today, I heard that there was a threat on New York City subway system. Besides hoping against all hopes that nothing bad happens, I thought about how fortunate it was for me that I am not a daily, breaking news reporter. In my book of game rules, um, Negro trumps journalist. So… that said, in case of shooting, natural disaster or terrorist attack, don’t look to Mahogany Elle for a report as only my shoes will be reporting live from pavement, briskly running the other way. LOL. That’ll be all for now.

4 Comments:

At October 11, 2005 3:21 PM , Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

I definiely have to check out "Roll Bounce". I am a big hater, but I have heard nothing but good things about that flick.

 
At October 11, 2005 5:27 PM , Blogger Maverick said...

Elle, I knew there was something about you that I loved...Bobby Womack!!! Such an underappreciated dude...I have a tape that I made about 10 years ago of my favorite Bobby Womack songs and that tape does appear to grace my tape deck every couple of months...I am a fan of "Harry Hippie", "I Can't Understand It" and "And I Love Her". Did you know that Bobby hooked up with Sam Cooke's widow after he died...even though Sam was kinda like his mentor? Just random crap that I know...

And I am going to need you to start posting more...there is a blogger deficit these days. People are updating like they used to...let's get more frequent updates!!! I am starting the petition now...

 
At October 12, 2005 1:46 AM , Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

you are absolutely fabulous...now that I'm met you in person.

 
At October 19, 2005 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo. You got skillz.
- PIII

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home